Sunday, May 29, 2005

Voyeurism Pays or You Learn Something New Every Day

While blogging, I find the most bizarre things...

Did you know that San Francisco holds an annual self-pleasure marathon

All giggling aside; this is supposed to be about safe-sex.

In the 20 odd years that I've been associated with HIV/AIDS charities, we've been teaching people that there is no such thing as "safe sex"; safer sex, yes, but safe sex, no...

The "masturbate-a-thon which was founded by a San Francisco sex-toy company: "Good Vibrations" and is a direct result of the firing of Surgeon General Jocelyn Elders. If you recall; (and who would?) Elders was fired for stating that masturbation "is perhaps something that should be taught" about when discussing youth sexual options.

Discuss "masturbation" with my children? Hubby and I kiss and we get a four-part harmoney of "Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeew!".

I never really thought of masturbation as "sex". But I suppose it is. Which means that there really is such a thing as "safe sex". Who'da thunk it?

Now... is THAT a dialogue one really wants to open with their own children?

5 comments:

arabia said...

...what is your point with this particular blog? You run out of topics already babs? ;)

FTS said...

Suddenly I hear strains of the Beach Boys harmonizing in the background...

Pepperfire said...

Oh Gods, I hear them too! Oh wait, that's my MP3 player.

T

violated said...

actually....i've been "teaching" my kids about masturbation since they were babies....in a way.

all children touch themselves, it's natural. most of the time though they are looked down on for doing it and told to stop.

many times i've told the beauties that it's perfecty normal and ok to do it... it feels good. i do however tell them that it's not something they should do infront of everyone. that it is something they should do provately or when they grow up to share with someone they love.

~SHRUG~

he man said...

give me a break